Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I Study Fashion: Shana Lynum for Visual Merchandising


When the Everything Girls Love blog first launched in September 2012, myself and four other women were a part of the best team the blog had, the fashion team! Out of that fashion team, there was a woman by the of Shana Lynum who I still have contact with,  who wanted to be a part of the Ridiculously Favored “I Study Fashion” staple. Thank you again Shana!


Shana Gelisa Lynum is a 24 year old fashion student in the city of New York studying Visual Merchandising at the LIM College in New York City. She lives in Long Island, New York and has also studied at the Nassau Community College. Check out her interview below!


Ridiculously Favored: How were you introduced to fashion?

Shana: Since childhood I have been mixing prints and colors and developed my own unique style. From there I decided to pursue a career in fashion.

Ridiculously Favored: What is a quote you live by and why?
Shana: “Difficult takes a day impossible takes a week.” No matter what I find difficult to accomplish it may take time but I will do it.

Ridiculously Favored: What school or schools are you attending or have you attended?
Shana: Nassau Community and LIM College

Ridiculously Favored: What do you like about your school?
Shana: LIM is big on networking and teaching skills to better prepare us to build contacts that can help us within the industry.

Ridiculously Favored: What is/was your major and why did you pick it?
Shana: I currently study Fashion Merchandising with a concentration in visual merchandising. I choose to study fashion merchandising because I have always been interested in the business aspect of fashion. To be the force behind fashion shows has always been a passion of mine.

Ridiculously Favored: As an Visual Merchandising major, what was the best display you think you've made or created for school, for work or just in your spare time?
Shana: As a visual major we get a chance to create a holiday display in NYC garment district. The display created by myself and fellow classmates was recognized for great execution.

Ridiculously Favored: Do you ideally want to do visual merchandising for a fashion company or venture elsewhere?
Shana: My ideal job would be styling for an e commerce website or celebrity cliental. As far as visual merchandising for a company I would not mind freelancing for a high end retail company.

Ridiculously Favored: What career path are you most likely going to take?
Shana: The career path I hope to follow is styling for an e commerce site while building contacts to work as a wardrobe stylist for a fashion magazine.

Ridiculously Favored: What is your ultimate career goal?
Shana: My ultimate career goal is to be a well known wardrobe stylist.

Ridiculously Favored: What degrees do you hold?
Shana: I currently have an AAS in fashion Merchandising

Ridiculously Favored: Who was your favorite professor at school and why? (include school)
Shana: My favorite professor at LIM college was Professor Levy. His knowledge of the business, advice and insight made him one of the most unforgettable people I've every met. Throughout my college career I have never built a relationship with my professors but because he was wiling to do whatever necessary to teach me the business showed me her really cares about his job.


What was your most favorite class?
Shana: Fashion Photography

Ridiculously Favored: What do you love about fashion?
Shana: The fact that there are no limits to individual creativity makes my love for fashion unconditional.

Ridiculously Favored: Describe your fashion style.
Shana: My style cannot be described. I literally wake up and how I'm feeling is how I dress. I love to mix high end with lower priced items. I can pull off boho, grunge, preppy etc. I dress for comfort and how I am feeling.

Ridiculously Favored: Do you have a favorite fashion icon?
Shana:  If I had to choose one person I would say Blake Lively

Ridiculously Favored: Where do you get most of your inspirations from for your designs and visual displays?
Shana: I receive my inspiration from everything around me. Walking to class or work any and almost everything acts as some form of inspiration for me.

Ridiculously Favored: Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Shana: One of my favorite designers is Olivier Rousteing

Ridiculously Favored: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Shana: In five years I see myself owning my own fashion consulting firm specializing in wardrobe styling, personal shopping as well as event planning.

Shana is pictured here working hard on some sketching!


Ridiculously Favored: Would you consider yourself living out your dreams?
Shana: Currently I feel like I am steps closer to my dreams. I would not consider myself living out my dreams simply because I want so much out of this industry and I am just beginning.

Ridiculously Favored: What are you working on currently?
Shana: Currently I am volunteering as much as I can working on fashion shows and assisting with photo shoots. I am also pouring a lot of my attention into building my styling portfolio.

Ridiculously Favored: On the fashion calendar, what event do you look forward to every year?
Shana: NYFW (New York Fashion Week) of course! My school sends out excellent volunteer opportunities for all the hottest shows and I am always ready to take advantage of them.

Ridiculously Favored: Who are your fashion influences?
Shana: My fashion influences are Kourtney Kardashian, Blake Lively and Miroslava Duma

Ridiculously Favored: What is/was your favorite thing to learn about in school and why?

Shana: I love to learn about the fashion greats and style To know where fashion has come from and how much it continues to evolve is truly fascinating.

Ridiculously Favored: How far in school do you plan to go?
Shana: When I complete my BBA this coming spring I would like to just go right into the work force.

Ridiculously Favored: Describe yourself in five words.
Shana: Eclectic, creative, determine, a perfectionist and anal (laugh out loud)


Ridiculously Favored:Describe your first day in fashion school.

Shana: I remember my first day of fashion school in NYC was filled with chaos and confusion but it was a good confusion. I was presented with a schedule; a map of the city and off I went.

Ridiculously Favored: Did you stay on campus or commute?
Shana: I had the opportunity to experience both on campus and commuter life.

Ridiculously Favored: If you stayed on campus, what were your roommates like? How was your dorming experience?
Shana: I learned quickly that I am not built for dorming. My roommate and I had several differences in my opinion and we were just not a great match.

Ridiculously Favored: What motivated you to attend school and pursue a career in fashion?
Shana: My mother is my biggest motivator. If anyone didn't believe in me, she does. She is my number one cheerleader. She keeps me focused and lets me know daily that I was made for this business.

Here are more photos of the Stylish Shana!




Hope you enjoyed her segment. I definitely believe she will be the best visual merchandising and will have a successful business! Check out and follow her social media handles to stay up-to-date with Shana! They are below!

Instagram @sgeliisa

Twitter @leopard_besos



Thanks for reading and check back for more students and alumni in the Ridiculously Favored "I Study/Studied Fashion" staple!

xoxo! Mwah!

-TeArra 
Instagram- @ridiculouslyfavoredd

No comments:

Post a Comment