Monday, July 14, 2014

I Study Fashion: Asha Monet Scott for Fashion Merchandising Management and Advertising and Marketing Communications!



"The thing I love most about fashion is the fact that no one can tell you what is wrong or right. Fashion is completely up to you. It is basically art in motion."


"Hello, my name is Asha Scott and I Study Fashion Merchandising Management and Advertising and Marketing Communications."

 After reading the answers to my interview questions by my next spotlighted "I Study Fashion" student Asha Scott, I had fallen in love with her even more because in some way we're like the same person from our zodiac signs to our majors and possibly even our thought process (laugh out loud).

Asha Monet Scott is a 21 year old Advertising and Marketing Communications major at the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan , New York who knows what she wants, is easy-going, silly, a food enthusiast, creative, and loving.


Take the time to explore these amazing characteristics of hers as she is spotlighted as Ridiculously Favored's next "I Study Fashion" student.

Asha has her life's mantra tattooed on her foot
which is very unique.
Ridiculously FavoredHow were you introduced to fashion?
Asha: I do not remember when I was first introduced to fashion; it’s always been in my life. If I had to pinpoint a time when I began to really notice fashion, it would have to be as a child playing with Barbies. I wasn't necessarily interested in the doll so much as I was in her clothes. I wanted more and more Barbies just so I could create new outfit combinations.

Ridiculously Favored: What is a quote you live by and why?
Asha: My life’s mantra is “Hakuna Matata." I've been obsessed with the Lion King ever since I can remember and the message of not worrying really struck a cord with me. I’m not saying that I don’t worry about anything, but I try not to stress over small things. I like to take things as they come, and having a positive outlook on situations can turn what would be a stressful time into a learning experience.


Asha giving us a cute pose.
Ridiculously Favored: What school or schools are you attending or have you attended?
Asha: Currently I am taking a summer class at Montclair State University, which is a school in Jersey. However my home school is The Fashion Institute of Technology better known as FIT.

Ridiculously Favored: What do you like about your school?
Asha: The thing I like most about FIT are the many opportunities the school offers. From volunteering at Fashion Week, to amazing internships with top name brands, and traveling abroad, I don’t think there’s a school that can compete with FIT. In addition to the many opportunities, FIT is filled with great talent and experienced professors with connections galore. Beyond that, you can’t beat FIT’s location…the fashion district, right in the heart of midtown Manhattan.

Ridiculously Favored: What is/was your major and why did you pick it?
Asha: When I first arrived at FIT, my major was Fashion Merchandising Management. However, over my first two semesters, I realized I did not completely love my major as I once thought I would. I loved fashion, but I felt like I needed to go in a different direction. My major only gave me a few career choices and after my first internship I knew for sure that I did not want to be a buyer. At the end of my second semester, I applied for the Advertising and Marketing Communications (AMC) Bachelor’s program and was accepted. I thought a degree in two different majors would be beneficial. So I am a proud recipient of an Associate’s degree in Merchandising and I will receive my Bachelor’s in AMC in May 2015.




Ridiculously Favored: As an AMC major, what was the best ad you think you've made? 
Asha: I have only been an AMC major for two semesters, so I really haven’t created ads. However, I have come up with some interesting public relation campaigns. For instance, I had an internet marketing class in the fall, and I was instructed to pick a company and reach out to a new demographic. My group and I chose the surf/skate brand Stussy. Typically, Stussy has a demographic of skaters, surfers, and hip-hop heads, but we decided to create an integrated marketing strategy to draw in EDM (electronic dance music) customers. My group and I came up with a budget, social media campaign and contest, the hashtag “Stay Stussy”, and a concert featuring the top EDM DJ’s for contest winners to attend. My professor made the project a contest and only one group could receive an A…of course my group got the A.

Ridiculously Favored: Do you ideally want to do advertising for a fashion company or venture elsewhere?
Asha: Right now I’m at a crossroads. I do want to do advertising or public relations, but I have a lot of interest so I’m all over the place. One day I want to stick in the AMC business, and other days I want to go into the food industry. I love food!

Ridiculously Favored: What career path are you most likely going to take?
Asha: I’m undecided in which career path I’m going to take. I think I might actually want to go into hospitality or culinary school. But then I think to myself, “do I really want to be in school for another four years”. Maybe I should stick to advertising, but we shall see.

Ridiculously Favored: What degrees do you hold?
Asha: I have an associate’s degree in fashion merchandising management and I will receive my bachelor’s in advertising and marketing next May.

Ridiculously Favored: Who was your favorite professor at school and why? (include school)
Asha: My favorite professor at FIT is Professor Shawn Carter. I had her my third semester for direct marketing. She is extremely intelligent, but also relate-able. She’s fashionable, has great connections in the fashion industry, and is willing to help students beyond the classroom. Professor Carter even wrote a recommendation letter for a scholarship I applied for and later received. I really look up to her.

Ridiculously Favored: What was your most favorite class?
Asha: I’ve had a few favorite classes at FIT. My favorite classes from my fashion merchandising days were Intro to Fashion and Direct Marketing. My favorite class from my current major is Internet Marketing. The subject matter of all three of the classes was interesting, but I think it was the hands on and creative approach my professors took.

Ridiculously Favored: What do you love about fashion?
Asha: The thing I love most about fashion is the fact that no one can tell you what’s wrong or right. Fashion is completely up to you. It’s basically art in motion.

Ridiculously Favored: Describe your fashion style.
Asha: I honestly have no idea what my fashion style is. I tend to wear whatever feels right at the moment. However, I do love hoodies, crop tops, graphic tees and sneakers. I’m not super trendy; I just like to be comfortable and cute.

Ridiculously Favored: Do you have a favorite fashion icon?
Asha: Yes! Rihanna has been my number one fashion icon since 2007. I absolutely love her style. Some other people I find fashion icons to be are Lupita Nyongo, Nicole Ritchie, Solange Knowles, Iggy Azelea, and Lil Debbie. I think Willow Smith and Kylie Jenner are up and coming fashion Icons.

Ridiculously Favored: Where do you get most of your inspirations from for your designs?
Asha: I don’t design anything anymore, but when I did, I got most of my inspiration from reading fashion magazines and watching old movies.

Ridiculously Favored: Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Asha: I don’t have a favorite designer. I pay more attention to street wear brands like Dimepiece, Married to the Mob, and Supreme.

Ridiculously Favored: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Asha: In five years hopefully I’m working at a great company either in fashion or food, traveling the world, and financially independent of my family.

Ridiculously Favored: Would you consider yourself living out your dreams?
Asha: I would say I’m in the process of living my dreams; I’m not totally there yet. Getting into FIT was the first step.


Ridiculously Favored: What are you working on currently?
Asha: Currently I’m working on enjoying the rest of my summer.

Ridiculously Favored: On the fashion calendar, what event do you look forward to every year?
Asha: I love the fall fashion week. I don’t pay much attention to the others.

Ridiculously Favored: Who are your fashion influences?
Asha: My fashion influences are pretty much the same as the fashion icons I mentioned earlier, but I do find that the everyday people in New York have an influence on me; they’re all so unique and stylish.

Ridiculously Favored: What is/was your favorite thing to learn about in school and why?
Asha: My favorite thing to learn in school is anything that has to deal with how people think, and with advertising and marketing there’s a lot of that.

Ridiculously Favored: How far in school do you plan to go?
Asha: Sometimes I think I want to get a Master’s degree or even go into a new industry, but for right now I’m just going to try and graduate with my bachelor’s on time.

Ridiculously Favored: Do you think this image is true? Why or why not?



Asha: I definitely agree with this image. I feel like no one really knows what fashion students go through unless they have been a fashion student themselves. There’s a lot of reading and math involved.

Ridiculously Favored: Describe yourself in five words.
Asha: Easy going, silly, food enthusiast, creative, and loving.

Ridiculously Favored: Describe your first day in fashion school.
Asha: My first day at FIT was not how I imaged it would be. In high school I was stylish, but at FIT I was totally caught off guard and intimidated. Everyone was more stylish and had more expensive clothing then I did. I felt like I had to ‘keep up with the Jones’ in a sense. My self-esteem was low for a few days, but after awhile I came to the realization that I could dress. Just because my clothes were not designer or as expensive, did not mean I was lesser than. Besides the whole clothing situation, I was super excited to be around new and creative people and immerse myself into New York’s fashion scene.

Ridiculously Favored: Did you stay on campus or commute?
Asha: I’ve stayed on campus all three of my years at FIT and will continue to dorm in my last year. I don’t have a car, and it would just be too difficult to commute from New Jersey.

Ridiculously Favored: If you stayed on campus, what were your roommates like? How was your dorming experience?
Asha: Dorming my first year at FIT was fun because most of my friends dormed in the same building as me, but the downside to that first dorming experience was the communal bathrooms. 
The girls on my floor were messy and often left the bathroom in shambles. Also, we were not allowed to have mini fridges or microwaves in our rooms. Although, I illegally had both in mine.
My first roommate was okay but we mostly just kept to ourselves. She stayed on her side of the room and I stayed on mine. The only thing that bothered me about her is that her boyfriend was always there. He always stayed the night, which was weird because he went to our school and I think he dormed as well.
Now, my second roommate was the best, literally we’re best friends. Celasia and I joked around all day and night, stayed up late, partied together, cooked for each other, shared clothes, and just about everything. It sucked when she moved to California and we would not be able to room for my third year, but at the same time I was able to start a new friendship with my third roommate Devan. Devan and I had a few classes and mutual friends, but we never really hung out. We both knew we were going to need new roommates for the Fall 2013 school year so we thought it would be better to dorm together than with strangers. It took some time before we began to bond, but after awhile Devan and I became really good friends. She is so fun to be around and I enjoyed our little adventures. Sadly, Devan graduated and I’m on the hunt for a new roommate.


Asha with her bestfriend Celasia. Check out Celasia's I Study Fashion post here.


Ridiculously Favored: What motivated you to attend school and pursue a career in fashion?
Asha: First off, I had to go to school or my family would disown me…just kidding, but I really enjoy fashion and advertising and FIT was the perfect school to do that at.

Ridiculously Favored: What areas of fashion are you interested in? Do you feel that you can do anything that is related to fashion?
Asha: I’m interested more in street fashion than high-end couture. I do think I can have a career in fashion. Brands always need a PR person or someone to come up with ads and campaigns, and that’s where I come in.

So what do you think about the lovely Asha and her fashion school experience?! She's perfect right?! If you want more of her, follow her on her social media pages at AshaFcKnAwesome on Twitter, @ashkosh_bgosh on Instagram, and on Facebook at Asha Monet!

Thanks for reading and leave comments below!

Much Love, 
-TeArra <3


No comments:

Post a Comment